COVID-19 claims Town events through October

The Wake Forest Board of Commissioners (BOC) agreed Tuesday evening to cancel all Town-sponsored events, including those at the Wake Forest Renaissance Centre, at least through October due to COVID-19. 

Many special events had already been canceled or postponed, such as Friday Night on White and Family Movie Nights at Joyner Park, but Town staff were awaiting the Board’s guidance on future happenings before initiating event planning. 

Events affected by the BOC’s decision include but are not limited to:

  • Wake Forest Home & Garden Show
  • Music at Midday
  • Concerts in the Park
  • Wake Forest Unplugged
  • Good Neighbor Day
  • Trung Thu Moon Festival
  • National Public Lands Day
  • National Night Out
  • Wake Forest Dance Festival
  • National Trails Day & 5K
  • Public Power Week Energy Expo
  • Halloween Spooktacular
  • Joyner Park Fall Foliage Tours

The decision to suspend these events was based on the unpredictability of the coronavirus, a desire to safeguard the health and safety of the community and an expectation that residents will not be allowed to gather safely in large groups for the foreseeable future. Currently, state law limits gatherings to 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors. 

The BOC’s decision does not apply to Renaissance Centre camps and workshops or Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources’ programs, including summer camps, being offered at limited capacity. 

Holding Park Aquatic Center opened July 1, while the Taylor Street Park Sprayground opened June 13. Both are operating under strict COVID-19 guidelines.

PRCR offices and buildings, including Joyner Park Community Center, Flaherty Park Community Center, Wake Forest Community House and Alston-Massenburg Center, remain closed to the public. A limited number of programs are being offered at these facilities, so only registered participants are allowed to enter.

All greenways, parks, baseball/softball fields, batting cages, tennis courts, outdoor pickleball and basketball courts, picnic shelters, and park bathrooms remain open. As a reminder, no more than 25 people are allowed to assemble. Playgrounds remain closed and water fountains turned off. 

In related news, the Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) has canceled this year’s Christmas Historic Home Tour originally scheduled for Saturday, Dec. 5. Considering the future uncertainty of the coronavirus, organizers say they were uncomfortable asking home and property owners to allow potentially hundreds of visitors to enter their homes. The HPC plans to offer the event in 2021.

The Town will announce a decision regarding event cancellations beyond October 31 no later than early October.  

(Visited 78 times, 1 visits today)

Wake Forest man charged with woman’s murder

FROM WSJSTAFF REPORTS John Charles Farley, of Wake Forest, was arrested Monday after a woman died from injuries she suffered last month, authorities said. Farley, 51, was charged with murder in the death of Stephanie Farley. Police didn’t disclose how the two’s relationship.  Authorities said police went to John Farley’s home on Hampton Chase Court […]

0 comments

Walter E. Cole, American Legion Annual Legionnaire Golf Tournament:

 The fourth annual Post 187 Legionnaire Golf Tournament is now history. The Brevofield Links were in great shape as reported by the Tournament Directors. Calling all the participants to the Tee Boxes at the start of the tournament; we were honored to have Mayor Vivian Jones. Winning the top award for the best overall score was the […]

0 comments

COVID-19 claims outdoor Town events through March 2021

From WSJSTAFF Reports In response to state restrictions on outdoor gatherings, the Board of Commissioners agreed Tuesday to suspend through March 2021 all Town-sponsored events that draw large crowds. As a result, the Lighting of Wake Forest will join Friday Night on White, the Fireworks Spectacular and a host of other 2020 events impacted by […]

0 comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.