High school sports delayed again after Gov. Cooper’s Phase 2 extension

FROM WSJSTAFF REPORTS

The North Carolina High School Athletic Association will delay sport for the 2020-2021 year beyond the anticipated September 1 start date.

The NCHSAA provided the following statement from Commissioner Que Tucker to NCHSAA Member Schools this morning.

“At his press conference on Wednesday, August 5, 2020, Governor Roy Cooper and his health team extended Phase Two of the state’s reopening plan until at least September 11.  Unfortunately, this announcement means that the start of sports for the 2020-2021 school year will be delayed beyond September 1 for NCHSAA member schools.

The NCHSAA Staff and Board of Directors will review all available options, seek input from SMAC, DPI, a sports Ad Hoc Committee, and announce a calendar for playing sports during the upcoming school year.  It is hoped that we can make this announcement prior to August 17, 2020.

We want to play sports during this upcoming school year and are making plans to do so; however, the health and safety of all participants, including coaches and other essential staff, will be a priority as decisions and plans are made.”

(Visited 40 times, 1 visits today)

Wake Forest man charged with woman’s murder

FROM WSJSTAFF REPORTS John Charles Farley, of Wake Forest, was arrested Monday after a woman died from injuries she suffered last month, authorities said. Farley, 51, was charged with murder in the death of Stephanie Farley. Police didn’t disclose how the two’s relationship.  Authorities said police went to John Farley’s home on Hampton Chase Court […]

0 comments

Walter E. Cole, American Legion Annual Legionnaire Golf Tournament:

 The fourth annual Post 187 Legionnaire Golf Tournament is now history. The Brevofield Links were in great shape as reported by the Tournament Directors. Calling all the participants to the Tee Boxes at the start of the tournament; we were honored to have Mayor Vivian Jones. Winning the top award for the best overall score was the […]

0 comments

COVID-19 claims outdoor Town events through March 2021

From WSJSTAFF Reports In response to state restrictions on outdoor gatherings, the Board of Commissioners agreed Tuesday to suspend through March 2021 all Town-sponsored events that draw large crowds. As a result, the Lighting of Wake Forest will join Friday Night on White, the Fireworks Spectacular and a host of other 2020 events impacted by […]

0 comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.